From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 04:53:28 EST

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 19:37 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2007, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > For many juridisctions loading from disk into memory is copying and in
> > some from memory to CPU cache a second copy. This is one reason as I
> > understand it GPLv3 talks about "conveying" - to avoid that mess and
> > confusion.
>
> Hmm... This is interesting. Let me sidetrack a little bit.
>
> Who would be held liable should the copy not be authorized by the
> copyright holder? The designer of the hardware? The seller? The
> person who powerer the computer on? The author of the boot loader (if

The person copying the software (read: the poor user) - of course with
no doubt.
Is the manufacturer of a knife or rifle or car or brick responsible if I
kill someone with it?

> I'm talking about the kernel about to be loaded).

And to solve the above "legal" problem, (at least in .at) it is
explicitly legal (and stated in the local law) to "copy" software for
personal use as long as you don't pass it on to others. And this
includes (of course) e.g. backup copies on DVDs (and remember, you are
not allowed to give them away, just store them in your desk).

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55