From: Bron Gondwana
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 00:12:01 EST

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 01:50:04AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> the GPL applies to software. It is a software license.
>
> the Tivo box is a piece of hardware.
>
> a disk is put into it with software copied to it already: a bootloader,
> a Linux kernel plus a handful of applications. The free software bits
> are available for download.

#define Dell CFG_FAVOURITE_VENDOR

A Dell desktop machine is a piece of hardware. The manufacturer has the
source code (hypothetically) to the BIOS. The BIOS is required for the
machine to boot and run Linux.

Riddle me this (especially Alexandre, I'm just latching on to Ingo's
post because it has the right hook to grab) - are Dell required to give
out the source to the bios to enable people to have the same rights Dell
engineers do to modify the behaviour of the system?

Bron.