From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 00:04:44 EST

On Jun 15, 2007, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>
>> Yes. They'd have to give up the ability to update the software, or
>> pass it on to the user. If they can't do the latter, they could still
>> do the former. How bad would this be for them, do you know?

> In other words, you advocate license for technical programs that causes
> people to make bad technical choices?

I do place ethical issues over technical ones, if that's what you're
asking.

And then, why should the vendor have any say on the software that runs
on the hardware I purchased from them, after the purchase?

Heck, I'd feel *safer* if I knew they couldn't modify the code in my
box without my permission. Do you support WGA or the Sony Rootkit?
How is this any different?

But if they want to keep the ability to change the software in my box,
I want that for myself as well. If for no other reason, in case they
mess things up.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/