From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 21:52:40 EST

On Jun 14, 2007, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's an addiction. I'm not proud.

I guess this makes it two of us :-(

> They were basically forced to add lockdown by the content vendors.

They can do that. They will still be able to do that with v3.

All they have to do is to throw away the keys that enable themselves
to modify the code further.

> For example, I'd rather have some GPLv2'd DVD player software that does
> *not* come with a de-css key

libdvdread and libdvdcss are separate packages.

> So the GPLv3 actually _hinders_ people who might otherwise help the
> community from helping, by making the license so strict that those people
> (who are nice people, but have their options limited by stupid laws and
> regulations) cannot use the GPLv3.

Just like v2 hinders their many customers.

Are you so sure v2 is better in this regard?

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/