[Test_Module] Changing brightness in Toshiba notebooks with PhoenixBios

From: Renato S. Yamane
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 20:18:13 EST

Forwarding from: Toshiba_Linux-Users (tlinux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

=============
I only tested on my Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 and it works.

To compile:
Edit a Makefile and add:
obj-m := test.o

then run in the same directory:

make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules

Then make the file for the new device:

mknod test_file c 181 0

Load de module:

insmod test.ko

And now, if you are very very lucky, maybe it will work:

echo 3 > test_file

But I warn: THE MOST PROBABLY THING WILL HAPPEN IS THE FREEZE OF THE
LAPTOP IF YOUR MODEL DOESN'T MATCH EXACTLY WITH THE MODEL I TESTED. If
you don't have a Phoenix BIOS don't try this, and if you have.. well..
it's your election x)

Here is the driver

test.c
=================== CUT HERE ===================
/*
* Module for Toshiba lcd bright change.
* I only made it for my Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 with Phoenix BIOS
* I don't know under which models it works (I suppose very few)
* The asm code I inserted I took it from a disass of the windows
* driver provided by Toshiba.
* WARNING:
* The driver does NOT make any tests if the model is valid or not
* so, the MOST probably effect of running this will be the hang of
* the laptop, or something worse.
* PLEASE DON'T USE THIS unless you really know what you are doing
* This module isn't made for give support to any Toshiba model,
* only for tests purpouses , sorry about it.
*
* Jaime F. <jaimeff@xxxxxxxxx>
* License: GNU/GPL
*/

#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <linux/io.h>

#define DEVICE_NAME "lcd_bright"
#define MAJOR_NUM 181

char *ptr;

static ssize_t
device_write(struct file *file,
const char __user * buffer, size_t length, loff_t * offset)
{
char *addr;
addr=(char *)__pa(ptr);
addr+=0x10;

strcpy(ptr, "INVTOS");
//ptr+=10;
*(ptr+16)=(char) buffer[0]-0x30;
//printk("escribiendo %x\n", *ptr);
/*
inb( 0x2e);
inb( 0x2f);
outb(7, 0x2e);
outb(9, 0x2f);
v3=inb(0x2f);
outb2(0x2e, 0x55);
outb2(0x2e, 7);
outb2(0x2f,0x10);
outb2(0x2e,0xe0);
v4=inb(0x2f);
outb2(0x2f,2);
v5=inb(0x2f);
outb2(0x2f,3);

outb2(0x2e, 7);
outb2(0x2f,9);
outb2(0x2e,0x60);
v1=inb(0x2f);
outb2(0x2e,7);
outb2(0x2f,0x10);
outb2(0x2e,0xe0);
outb2(0x2f,0);
outb2(0x2e, 7);
outb2(0x2f, 9);
outb2 ( 0x2e, 0xaa);
outb2 ( 0x400, 0xAF);
v2=inb( 0x401);
outb2( 0x400, 0xAF);
*/

__asm__("cli\n"
/* "mov $0x01E4, %%eax\n"
"mov $0x00b0, %%dx\n"
"movb $0x02, 0xEF\n"
"out %%eax, %%dx\n"
*/
"mov %0, %%edx\n"
"mov %%edx, %%edi\n"
"mov $0x20, %%ecx\n"
"mov $0x8000f840, %%eax\n mov $0xcf8, %%edx\n out %%eax, %%dx\n"
"mov $0xcfc, %%dx\n"
"in %%dx, %%eax\n"
"and $0x0000ff80, %%eax\n"
"add $0x2c, %%eax\n"
"mov %%ax, %%dx\n"
"in %%dx, %%eax\n"
"push %%eax\n"
// "mov %%ax, %%dx\n"
"xor %%eax, %%eax\n"
"out %%eax, %%dx\n"
"mov $0xA2E4, %%eax\n"
"mov $0xb2, %%dx\n"
"out %%eax, %%dx\n"
"pop %%eax\n"
"mov $0x102c, %%dx\n"
"out %%eax, %%dx\n"
/* "movl $0x10, %%edx\n\t"
"movl %%edx, %%edi\n\t"
"movl $0x20, %%ecx\n"
"movw $0x00E4, %%ax\n"
"movb $0x5, %%ah\n"
"outw %%ax, $0xb2\n"
"movl %%eax, %0\n sti\n"
*/
:
:"r"(addr): "%eax", "%edx", "%ecx","%edi", "%esi");
return length;
}

struct file_operations Fops = {
.write = device_write,
};

int init_module()
{
int ret_val;
ptr=(char *)kmalloc(100, GFP_KERNEL);
ptr+=10;
ret_val = register_chrdev(MAJOR_NUM, DEVICE_NAME, &Fops);

if (ret_val < 0)
{
printk(KERN_ALERT "El registro del dispositivo falló (%d)\n", ret_val);
return ret_val;
}

return 0;
}

void cleanup_module()
{
int ret;

ret = unregister_chrdev(MAJOR_NUM, DEVICE_NAME);

if (ret < 0)
printk(KERN_ALERT "Error: unregister_chrdev: %d\n", ret);
}