From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 17:28:46 EST

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2007, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > No. I'm not stupid.
> >
> > The GPLv3 explicitly allows removing additional permissions.
>
> So what? You just refrain from accepting contributions that attempt
> to remove them, and you'll keep TiVO happy.

You really aren't thinking, are you?

It's not about keeping Tivo happy. It's about keeping *me* happy. That's
my primary (only) motivation for a license.

And let's go back to why I selected the GPLv2 in the first place, shall
we?

I want to be able to use other peoples improvements. If they release
improved versions of the software I started, I want to be able to merge
those improvements if I want to.

Your *IDIOTIC* suggestion is explicitly against the whole POINT! By saying
that I shouldn't accept contributions like that, you just INVALIDATED the
whole point of the license in the first place!

Can you really not see that?

Linus