Re: libertas (private) ioctls vs. nl80211

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 15:59:26 EST

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:09:36 -0400
"John W. Linville" <linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It does not make sense to me to rip this out purely for aesthetic
> reasons.

Aesthetics are good, but that's not the main issue.

What is most worrying is that there appears to be a risk that these
newly-added interfaces will later become obsoleted by another interface.
This means that we'll need to maintain, test and support _both_ interfaces
for a very long time. This is the sort of foot-shooting we should avoid.