From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 13:52:46 EST

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

But see, I'm not talking about getting permission to hack the
hardware. I'm only talking about getting permission to hack the Free
Software in it.

No you're not...you're talking about being able to hack the software *and load it back onto the original hardware*.

It's your position that mingles the issues and permits people to use
the hardware to deprive users of freedom over the software that
they're entitled to have.

The software license controls the software. If the hardware has restrictions on it that limit what software it will run, then that is unrelated to the software license.

There is nothing stopping you from taking the code for the tivo, modifying it, distributing it, or even running it on other hardware.

Suppose I had some machine that will only run microsoft-signed binaries. Would it be at all related to any software license that this machine won't let me run linux?

Chris