Re: [RFC] TOMOYO Linux

From: James Morris
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 18:55:11 EST

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Toshiharu Harada wrote:

> TOMOYO Linux has a mode called "learning"
> in addition to "permissive" and "enforce". You can easily
> get the TOMOYO Linux policy with learning mode that
> SELinux does not have.

Blindly generating security policy through observation of the system is
potentially dangerous for many reasons.

See
<http://securityblog.org/brindle/2006/03/25/security-anti-pattern-status-quo-encapsulation/>

Note that while SELinux does also have a similar capability with the
audit2allow tool, it should be considered an expert tool, the output of
which needs to be understood before use (as noted in its man page).

> In addition, access control mode of
> TOMOYO Linux can be managed for every difference domain.

We have considered per-domain enforcing mode a couple of times in the
past, but figured that it could be implemented via policy alone (e.g. run
the task in a domain where all accesses are allowed and logged); and it
would also be of limited usefulness because of the aforementioned problems
with learning mode security policy.

- James
--
James Morris