Re: [RFD] Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 16:15:52 EST

Hi!

> Yes, but this file, and the stable-api-nonsense.txt files are there to
> help people understand both the kernel's philosophy, as well as
> encourage them to help contribute.
>
> That is totally different from internationalizing the internal kernel
> messages (which, btw, some people are working on...) That I would not
> agree to as it's just too hard to keep up with and would be pointless in
> a way.
>
> So I really do want to see a translated copy of the HOWTO,
> stable-api-nonsense.txt, and possibly a few other files in the main
> kernel tree (SubmittingPatches, CodingStyle, and SubmittingDrivers might
> all be good canidates for this.) These files change relativly
> infrequently (the HOWTO file has had only 7 changes in 1 and 1/2 years,
> and they were very minor ones) and should be easy for the translators to
> keep up with.

But what is the point of having them in tree?

- regular review process does not work for them.

- regular release process does not work for them; translations want
release few days after -stable is released.

- kernel contributors will _not_ be able to fix them when they change
the original.

Plus, I'm not even sure if we have enough space. There are lots of
languages.
Pavel