Re: [Intel-IOMMU 02/10] Library routine for pre-allocat pool handling

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 15:04:35 EST

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 20:40:11 Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 06:55:46PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Andrew Morton wrote:

> > >If that happens, we still have the mempool reserve to fall back to.
> >
> > we do, except that we just ate the memory the downstream code would
> > use and get ... so THAT can't get any.
>
> Then the downstream ought to be using a mempool?

Normally there shouldn't be a downstream. PCI IO tends to be not stacked,
but at the edges (unless you're talking hypervisors with virtual devices but those
definitely have separate memory pools). And the drivers I'm familiar with tend to
first grab whatever resources they need and then map the DMA mappings.

-Andi