Re: [RFC/PATCH] Documentation of kernel messages

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 13:50:25 EST

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:06:57PM +0200, holzheu wrote:
> Current prototype implementation:
> =================================

> * component: Name of the kernel or driver component e.g. "pci", "ide",
> etc.
> * msg number: Within the component unique number of a kernel message.
> * msg: printk message
>
> New macros KMSG_ERR(), KMSG_WARN(), etc. are defined, which have to be
> used in printk. These macros have as parameter the message number and
> are using a per c-file defined macro KMSG_COMPONENT.
>
> Example: Define message 2 in component "kmsgtest":
>
> #define KMSG_COMPONENT "kmsgtest"
>
> void f(void)
> {
> printk(KMSG_ERR(1) "device %x not online\n", devno);
> }

Ick, why are you ignoring what we have already with dev_printk() and
friends? We are just finally getting developers to use that, I think it
will be almost impossible to get people to change to something else,
especially one that isn't even as "correct" as what dev_printk() offers
you today, will be quite hard.

So, why not use what we already have and work off of it?

thanks,

greg k-h