Re: Runaway process and oom-killer

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 11:11:06 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:

My guess:
Something needs memory but finds there is none to be had
oom-killer is invoked and targets myapp.
myapp takes some time to die. Particularly, the memory it uses
isn't freed up instantly.

Has anyone considered actually bumping up the priority of the task being killed so that it gets to run and free up its resources in a timely manner?

We've done some experimenting with actually putting it in SCHED_RR and it seems to help (in the case of other busy SCHED_RR tasks on the system). Admittedly we have an older kernel, so behaviour may be different now.

Chris