Re: ext2 on flash memory

From: Ph. Marek
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 09:17:31 EST

(Sorry for this hand-crafted message. I'm not subscribed, lkml.org is down, so
I have to manually add the Reply-To header.)

> I was just wondering if, apart from the excessive wear, there were
> other reasons. One of the reasons I would like to use a good filesystem
> for a pendrive is to be able to store file metadata (UID, GID, mode,
> etc.) properly, for example to store a "live" copy of my home dir in the
> pendrive.
If it would be enough to have a backup (with meta-data), that needs some
software to be read again, you could also try fsvs (http://fsvs.tigris.org).

That does a full filesystem versioning (with owner, group, mode and mtime)
into a subversion repository. This would have the benefit that you could keep
the "prefered" filesystem, but have a (versioned!) backup of your data.

The files can, if fsvs is not available, be restored by subversion binaries
(although without meta-data support), so in case of an emergency you could
read the data even from windows. (Like when using tar, you'd need to download
something or keep this binary on the usb-stick).

http://freshmeat.net/projects/fsvs:
FSVS stands for "Fast System VerSioning", "File System VerSioning", or "Full
System VerSioning". It is used for backup/restore and system configuration
management, using a Subversion repository as the backend.

For questions "users" or "dev" "at fsvs.tigris.org" are available.

Regards,

Phil