[Serial port bug?] was Re: 2.6.22-rc4-mm2

From: Reuben Farrelly
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 05:36:02 EST

On 7/06/2007 3:03 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.22-rc4/2.6.22-rc4-mm2/

- Basically a bugfixed version of 2.6.22-rc4-mm1. None of the subsystem
trees were repulled, several bad patches were dropped, a few were fixed.

I've come home to find my server has locked up hard, with a panic on the screen. This time unlike others, I was able to grab a photo of it for further analysis.

http://www.reub.net/files/kernel/ serial-crash.jpg

[Note also the .config and dmesg in the same directory]

I have had this or a very similar traceback appear about 3 or 4 times now, including with a 2.6.21-gentoo kernel (based on mainline), so this bug may well be present in mainline. It is not new to this -mm release.

The bug does not occur on demand, it just seems to happen every few days without obvious warning, I haven't reported it until now as I haven't had any other information to provide other than "some panic seems to happen with a tty_write something-or-other".

The other possibly crucial piece of information on this is that I have one of my serial ports set up as a serial console. The kernel boot commands for this are:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-rc4-mm2 ro real_root=/dev/md2 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,57600 panic=30

as well as this:

# SERIAL CONSOLES
s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 57600 ttyS0 vt100

in inittab.

The other serial port is connected up to my APC UPS and is set up with apcupsd.

Reuben