Re: Proposal: change keycode for scancode e0 32 from 150 to 172

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 05:18:33 EST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> In PS/2 mode it reports E0 32 which gets converted to keycode 150. In
> USB mode it reports E0 02 which gets converted to keycode 172.
> I don't know if it's the keyboard itself that's being inconsistent, or
> if it is the table in usbkbd.c that's broken (in which case it should be
> fixed to be consistent with the keyboard in PS/2 mode.)

Hi Peter,

First, usbkbd.c has very probably zero business with this - the mappings
are being done in hid-input.c, usbkdb.c is only for embedded/debugging
cases, and is almost never used on modern systems (see the corresponding
Kconfig help text).

> You seem to be of the opinion that "usb behaviour is correct", but don't
> give any motivation why usb should take precedence. Offhand, I would
> expect there to be fewer translation layers for PS/2 and would therefore
> assume PS/2 is more inherently correct.

For USB, we have Hid Usage Pages, which define this to be KEY_HOMEPAGE.
There is no such specification for PS/2 though, so what Hans is proposing
is to make it consistent with behavior of USB HID devices, which I agree
with.

--
Jiri Kosina