Re: [-mm patch] #if 0mm/backing-dev.c:congestion_wait_interruptible()

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 18:56:59 EST

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 02:40:06PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 12/06/07, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> congestion_wait_interruptible() is no longer used.
>>
> Remind me again why it is that we add all these #if 0 blocks instead
> of simply removing the unused code?
>
> It's just creating a janitorial task to go and remove all the #if 0
> bits at a later time, seems like pointless churn to me. If the code
> needs to go, let's just get rid of it in one go instead of two.

The #if 0 also handles all "I want to use this code in 6 months"
comments that might come (and in some rare cases it even gets used
later).

My primary intention is to remove dead code from bloating the kernel
image, and this way the probability of patch acceptance is higher.

> Jesper Juhl

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.