Re: 2.6.22-rc3 hibernate(?) fails totally - regression (xfs onraid6)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 14:44:15 EST

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, David Greaves wrote:

> positive: I can now get sysrq-t :)

Ok, so color me confused, and maybe I have missed some of the emails or
skimmed over them too fast (there's been too many of them ;), but

- I haven't actually seen any traces for this (netconsole apparently
doesn't work for you, and I'm not surprised: it never really worked
well for me over suspend/resume either, but I think I saw a mention of
serial console?)

- You apparently bisected it down to the range

0a3fd051c7036ef71b58863f8e5da7c3dabd9d3f <- works
1d30c33d8d07868199560b24f10ed6280e78a89c <- breaks

but some of the intermediates in that range didn't compile. Correct?

Can you try to bisect down a bit more, despite the compile error? Just do

git bisect start
git bisect good 0a3fd051c7036ef71b58863f8e5da7c3dabd9d3f
git bisect bad 1d30c33d8d07868199560b24f10ed6280e78a89c

and it should pick

f4d6d004: libata: ignore EH scheduling during initialization

for you to test. It will apparently break on the fact that "sata_via.c"
wants "ata_scsi_device_resume/suspend" for the initialization of the
resume/suspend things in the scsi_host_template, but you should just
remove those lines, and the compile hopefully completes cleanly after
that.

IOW, it *should* be easy enough to pinpoint this from 9 changes down to
just one.

Jeff added to the Cc, since he may not have noticed that one of the most
long-running issues is apparently sata-related.

(Jeff: David Greaves _also_ had issues with -rc4 due to the SETFXSR
change, but that should hopefully be resolved and is presumably an
independent bug. Apart from the fact that "sata_via.c" seems problematic)

Linus