Re: [patch 0/3] AHCI Link Power Management

From: Kristen Carlson Accardi
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 11:47:00 EST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:43:12 -0400
Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We will do AHCI link PM -- presuming that I can be convinced that it
> does not repeatedly park the hard drive heads, or something similarly
> annoying on PATA<->SATA bridges and similar setups.
>
> IF it works as advertised -- a big if considering all the AHCI silicon
> implementations out there -- we definitely want to use it.
>
> Jeff

I understand that this is a concern of yours based on some experience you
had with earlier controllers. In general, this behavior would be considered
incorrect - link power management should not translate to disk parking, even
on PATA->SATA brigdes, and if it does, then that's completely broken. That
said, I would believe you if you said broken hardware exists, and when you
get specific examples of it, you can add it to the blacklist for this feature.