Re: [AppArmor 38/45] AppArmor: Module and LSM hooks

From: Stephen Smalley
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 09:00:59 EST

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 14:02 -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Gruenbacher (agruen@xxxxxxx):

> That was the decision at ksummit last year, yes.

> > > There is a difference between using the pathname at the kernel/userland
> > > interface as part of configuring a security mechanism and using it as
> > > the basis for the runtime checking itself.
> >
> > Yes, there is a difference. When I say pathname based security mechanism, I
> > literally mean a pathname based security mechanism, meaning the pathnames
> > determine the outcome o the decision. This includes designs that are based on
> > different abstractions internally, but the bahavior observable from
> > user-space must be the same (or else, it's a different model).
> >
> > Unfortunately, translating pathnames to labels destroys this fundamental
> > abstraction. We explained why this is so in the following postings:
> >
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/9/94
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/10/141
> >
> > > Further, there is a difference between generating and matching full
> > > pathnames on each access vs. caching information in the parent dentry and
> > > making decisions based on that cached information and the last
> > > component-name.
> >
> > Wait, you are mixing two issues here: access checks on existing files, and the
> > creation of new files. For AppArmor as it stands today the two are the same,
> > but when looking at emulating AppArmor using labels, they are not. Let's look
> > at things one at a time.
> >
> > Generating and matching full pathnames on each access takes time, no question
> > about that. (In fact we are not checking on each access but only when
> > pathnames are involved, such as on open. Filehandle based operations do not
> > require access checks, but that's not a very important difference at this
> > level of discussion.) That's a quantitative statement though, not a
> > qualitative one: retrieving xattrs and checking labels also takes time;
> > additional checks are never for free. We find that doing the pathname checks
> > is easily fast enough. You may disagree, but then you don't have to use
> > AppArmor, and we are not standing in your way.
> >
> > As far as new files are concerned, basing decisions on the parent dentry and
> > component name requires that you know where in the filesystem hierarchy this
> > dentry is located: with bind mounts, the same dentry shows up in multiple
> > locations in a process's namespace, corresponding to different pathnames. In
> > other words, to make the right decision, the dentry alone is not enough; it
> > takes a <dentry, vfsmount> pair. So there we are again.
> >
> > >From the point on where you have a <dentry, vfsmount> pair of objects, you can
> > do two things: you can compute the full pathname and base your decision on
> > that, or you can do some caching to hopefully cut some of that work short
> > frequently enough to set off the additional cost. The difference between the
> > two approaches is quantitative -- if there is a difference in results, then
> > that's obviously a bug. I believe that caching could speed up things
> [...]

If we added support for named type transitions to SELinux, as proposed
earlier by Kyle Moffett during this discussion, wouldn't that address
that issue without needing a DTE-like approach? The concept is to add
the last component name as a further input to the labeling decision for
new files, in addition to the existing use of the creating process'
label, the parent directory label, and the kind of file. Then, you
could have something like:
type_transition <domain> var_log_hosts_t:file "messages" messages_t;

The last component name is already available, so that doesn't require
any changes to LSM, and it would be a straightforward extension of
SELinux to support the above - it doesn't change the model at all, just
adds a further input to the new file labeling logic.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency