Re: VIA C7 / VIA PC-1 (PC2500) anyone?

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 08:46:06 EST

Wander Winkelhorst wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I bought a VIA PC2500 board a few days ago - this
>> new series of their mobos,
>>
>> This beast looks nice - after replacing their cooling
>> system (that had a small fan on it) with larger but
>> fanless, -- it becomes a almost real PC (1500MHz CPU),
>> equipped with quite nice crypto and multimedia abilities,
>> but with very low power consumption and very quiet.
>>
>> But the thing is - it doesn't quite work.
>
> Try disabling CPU frequency scaling, VIA CPU's often have problems
> with changing their frequency.

Hmm. I wonder how to *enable* it in the first place.. ;)
e_powersaver.ko and acpi_cpufreq gives "No such device"

> Furthermore, did you do any testing of the board before you took the
> fan off? Was it stable then?

The thing is that I didn't even try to test it WITHOUT the fan.
It makes no difference in themperature (lm_sensors shows 40
degrees celsius under continious run of `openssl speed' with
fan, and 39 degrees without fan but with larger headstick).

But all the testing are done with the original headstick+fan
as provided by VIA.

/mjt