Re: [patch 3/3] Enable Aggressive Link Power management for AHCI controllers.

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 08:18:39 EST

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 08:59:46PM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > that's a temporary shortcoming; even with these power savings you can
> > do hotplug as long as you're willing to poll for it at a reasonable
> > interval and are willing to wait the time between polls for a hotplug
> > to take effect..
>
> On laptops, I suspect that we'll probably get an ACPI interrupt even if
> the AHCI hotplug pathway can't manage.

As long as we don't crash the drive or AHCI controller because we hotplugged
it in a way it didn't like (like trying to hotplug a ICH5R would cause).

It is not like 1Hz would not be fast enough for laptop bays and docks, so
the polling frequency would not be a problem. I still prefer when levels
and on/off are kept separate, but if it won't stand in the way of hotplug, I
certainly don't care enough to bother.

Henrique Holschuh