Re: call for more SD versus CFS comparisons (was: Re: [ck] Mainline plans)

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Tue Jun 12 2007 - 06:34:00 EST

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 18:57, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * Tobias Gerschner <tobias.gerschner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I did run massive_intr.c for 60 secs with increasing nproc (
> > > 10,20,30,40,50,60) waiting for effects.
> > >
> > > Below a small table of the results

Nice results. Thanks for taking the time to post them!

> > > 2.6.21.1-cfs-v16
> > >
> > > nproc , usability result
> > >
> > > 10 , serious frame drops , Firefox hardly recognizes clicked links,
> > > but still usable
> > > 20 - 30, usability loss ( somehow under cfs firefox never finished
> > > user requests like displaying web pages or opening new pages , no
> > > feedback anymore, sudden changes on the desktop )
> >
> > ouch! The expected load-testing result under CFS should be something
> > like this:
> >
> > http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/2007-June/007817.html
>
> i have just tried the same workload with cfs and with sd048 from -ck,
> and cannot reproduce this. To make sure it's not some other change in
> -ck, could you try the pure SD patches ontop of 2.6.21.1 too:

I'm pleased you think the rest of my patches may help there but only the SD
patches affect scheduling unless you set a different scheduling policy or
there is a vm issue.

List:
ck2-version.patch
2.6.21-sd-0.48.patch
sched-sd-0.48-interactive_tunable.patch
sched-range.patch
sched-iso-5.4.patch
track_mutexes-1.patch
sched-idleprio-2.3.patch
sched-limit_policy_changes.patch
sched-ck-add-above-background-load-function.patch
cfq-ioprio_inherit_rt_class.patch
cfq-iso_idleprio_ionice.patch
mm-swap_prefetch-35.patch
mm-convert_swappiness_to_mapped.patch
mm-lots_watermark.diff
mm-kswapd_inherit_prio-1.patch
mm-prio_dependant_scan-2.patch
mm-background_scan-2.patch
mm-filesize_dependant_lru_cache_add.patch
mm-idleprio_prio.patch
kconfig-expose_vmsplit_option.patch
hz-default_1000.patch
hz-no_default_250.patch
hz-raise_max-2.patch
ck-desktop-tune.patch
mm-swap-prefetch-35-38.patch

apart from ck-desktop-tune.patch which is in total this:
-int rr_interval __read_mostly = 8;
+int rr_interval __read_mostly = 6;

which is already a tunable that's part of SD.

So unless there's a vm issue (which does not appear to be the case) I can't
see how any of these will change Tobias' extensive testing results.

Thanks.

--
-ck