Re: Can we get rid of zImage this time?

From: Bruce Ashfield
Date: Mon Jun 11 2007 - 22:20:31 EST

On 6/11/07, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I brought this up a few years ago, and had it shot down, because of a
few poorly substantiated claims of zImage-only machines; those claims
really need to be debugged since they might indicate A20-related failures.

These beasts are still alive and kicking. I boot a handful of
arm and ppc boards on a frequent basis that are zImage
only. The kicker is I don't have the bootloader source for
most of them, so changing to a different image format is
tough at best.

Not a vote one way or the other, just some observations
from my day to day.

Bruce

Anyway...

Can we please kill zImage? In addition to be completely useless for
modern kernels, it causes unnecessary complexity in boot loaders.

-hpa

thee at its end"