Re: v2.6.21.4-rt11

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 21:20:21 EST

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 11:05:07PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i'm pleased to announce the v2.6.21.4-rt11 kernel, which can be
> downloaded from the usual place:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/
>
> more info about the -rt patchset can be found in the RT wiki:
>
> http://rt.wiki.kernel.org
>
> -rt11 is a bit more experimental than usual: it includes the CFS
> scheduler. Several people have suggested the inclusion of CFS into the
> -rt tree: the determinism of the CFS scheduler is a nice match to the
> determinism offered by PREEMPT_RT. The port of CFS to -rt was done by
> Dinakar Guniguntala. Tested on i686 and x86_64.
>
> to build a 2.6.21.4-rt11 tree, the following patches should be applied:
>
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.21.4.tar.bz2
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/patch-2.6.21.4-rt11

2.6.21.4-rt12 boots on 4-CPU Opteron and passes several hours of
rcutorture. However, if I simply do "modprobe rcutorture", the kernel
threads do not spread across the CPUs as I would expect them to, even
given CFS. Instead, the readers all stack up on a single CPU, and I
have to use the "taskset" command to spread them out manually. Is there
some config parameter I am missing out on?

Thanx, Paul