Re: 2.6.22-rc: regression: no irda0 interface (2.6.21 was OK), smsc does not find chip

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 16:05:21 EST

On Sunday 10 June 2007 02:03:03 am Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > Can you set CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y, make it so smsc-ircc2 isn't loaded
> > automatically, and try this (along with my previous patch to swap
> > FIR and SIR):
> >
> > # dmesg -n 8
> > # echo 0x200 > /sys/module/acpi/parameters/debug_level
> > # echo disable > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:0a/resources
> > # echo activate > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:0a/resources
> > # modprobe smsc-ircc2
> >
> > If you try this, can you collect the whole dmesg log?
>
> well, dmesg (/var/log/messages) is around 35MB :) Even bz2 compressed it is
> over 700KB. I put it here:
> http://dump.ru:80/loadfile.php?filename=fir_acpi_debug.bz2&id=379192
>
> This is from /var/log/messages. I do not have serial console and cannot
> capture output directly; I can only hope nothing is lost at this rate.

Wow, that is big :-)

I guess smsc-ircc2 still didn't find the device, so you got
something like this:

smsc_ircc_present(), addr 0x02e8 - no device found!

Right?

I'm out of ideas, and I don't want to waste more of your time on
this. I'm going to try to find a Portege 4000 to play with myself.
That might take a few days, and I'm going to be out of the office
from June 20-July 9, so I'm afraid it will be slow. But I *will*
fix it!

Bjorn