Re: kconfig .po files in kernel tree? [Was: Documentation/HOWTO translatedinto Japanese]

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 15:02:11 EST

On 06/10/2007 07:52 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

We once discussed about .po files for kconfig and back then
the conclusion was not to keep them in the kernel tree.

I advocated that they should stay out back then.
But on the other hand I do not see it causing much troubles
having scripts/kconfig/po/da.po etc araound.

Any opinion about the .po files?

From me, the same opinion as about any and all internationalized content in the tree -- please don't.

All that stuff only serves to multiply the speed at which a fixed percentage of content obsoletes itself. When it's still new and shiny, sure, stuff will get translated but in no time at all it'll become a fragmented mess which nobody ever feels right about removing because that would be anti-social to all those poor non-english speaking kernel hackers out there.

In current effect, English is the language of the linux kernel. Its messages are in English, most or all of the useful information available on it is in English, its developers communicate in (some semblance of) English...

More importantly even than any current practical situation though it seems this should also be how people should try to keep things. I'm not a native English speaker myself but English serves well as a common language among all us non-native speakers. I really do not so much want to have to learn more languages well enough to be able to understand technical discussions about operating system kernels in them still.

America is obviously historically (for a sufficiently short value of history) the main supplier/originator of computer software and as such, using English is often seen as something that needs to be fixed upon expansion but this is wrong. Please do not for a minute believe that internationalization is doing anyone a favour.

I know all about constantly translating computer terminology back and forth when a non-computer savvy friend asks something in the context of his/her Dutch language copy of Windows.

Internationalization is sometimes _neccessary_ (those same windows desktops) simply because the result needs to be used by people that you don't want to have to expect to be able to use English (because you'd limit your market) and things like adopting a character set that allows people to write down their names is obviously wonderful but generally internationalization only fragments.

RESIST! UNITE!

Rene.