From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 03:12:41 EST

On Sat, 2007-06-09 15:57:55 +1000, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday June 9, tarkan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > As we know the forthcoming GPL V3 will be not compatible with the GPL V2
> > and Linux Kernel is GPL V2 only.
> > So, another point is, which is previously mentioned by Linus and others,
> > that if it is decided to upgrade the Linux Kernel's License to GPL V3,
> > it is needed the permission of all the maintainers permission who
> > contributed to the Linux Kernel and there are a lot of lost or dead
> > maintainers. Which makes it impossible to get all the maintainers'
> > permission.
>
> You don't need the permission of maintainers. You need the permission
> of copyright owners. The two groups overlap, but are not the same.
> Dead people cannot own anything, even copyright. Their estate
> probably can. I don't think it is theoretically impossible to get
> everyone's permission, though it may be quite close to practically
> impossible.

And the next question is: How much copyright does a copyright owner
own? For example, think of drivers written by one person, but a small
number of lines changed here and there by others to adopt the code to
new APIs. Ask them all, I think?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx +49-172-7608481
Signature of: God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of