Re: [Intel-IOMMU 02/10] Library routine for pre-allocat poolhandling

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 16:56:24 EST

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 22:43:10 +0200 (CEST)
Andreas Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > That's what kmem_cache_alloc() is for?!?!
>
> Tradtionally that was not allowed in block layer path. Not sure
> it is fully obsolete with the recent dirty tracking work, probably not.
>
> Besides it would need to be GFP_ATOMIC and the default
> atomic pools are not that big.

That in itself is a problem. What do we have to do to be able
to make these allocations use the *much* stronger GFP_NOIO?

We could perhaps talk to Christoph about arranging for each slabcache to
have an optional private reserve page pool. But fixing the GFP_ATOMIC
would be better.