Re: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 15:31:09 EST

> We are talking about file descriptors here. If you're using file
> descriptors as anything other than tokens you'll find out soon enough
> that your code is broken. The new type of file descriptors cannot be
> used as indeces and the randomization makes sure that no program by some
> fluke happens to work.

If you are building a stable system and you test it and it passes
extensive testing you don't care if it works because of a specific
pattern of accesses since your testing shows that it continues to work.

If you randomize these it becomes fundamentally untestable. There is a
role for this in fuzz testing but there is not a role for it in normal
production behaviour.

Please consign the whole funky file handle farce to the bucket labelled
"dumb ideas". I know its a bit full but there is room in there for more -
unlike the kernel.

Alan