Re: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 08:50:51 EST

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 03:40:14PM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> Yes. Files with the CLOFORK and CLOEXEC flag do not count for fork and
> exec copies.
> I was also planning on doing it in __put_unused_fd(), every time
> fmap->count goes to zero. But get_random_int() is not as cheap as I
> thought. If we use a cheaper (although less secure) function to mix pid &
> jiffies, we could do it even in there.

Um, how cheap do you need it? get_random_int() is actually pretty
cheep, since it was designed to be usable by the networking stack for
sequence numbers for TCP packets; and it's not like sys_close() or
sys_open() is a majorly critical path, is it? If the concern is
increasing the potential hold time, I suppose you could have the
exactly two callers of __put_unused_fd() (sys_close() and
put_unused_fd()) call get_random_int() before grabbing the
current->files->file_lock spinlock,

- Ted