Re: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 05:33:27 EST

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:54:00AM +0200, Ingo Molnar (mingo@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> * Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I did not want to start with another round of ping-pong insults :),
> > but, Ingo, you did not show that kevent works worse. I did show that
> > sometimes it works better. It flawed from 0 to 30% win in that tests,
> > in results Johann Bork presented kevent and epoll behaved the same. In
> > results I posted earlier, I said, that sometimes epoll behaved better,
> > sometimes kevent. [...]
>
> let me refresh your recollection:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/2/25/116
>
> where you said:
>
> "But note, that on my athlon64 3500 test machine kevent is about 7900
> requests per second compared to 4000+ epoll, so expect a challenge."

You can also find in that threads that I managed to run epoll server on
that machine with 9k requests per second, although that was not
reproducible again.

> for a long time you made much fuss about how kevents is so much better
> and how epoll cannot perform and scale as well (you said various
> arguments why that is supposedly so), and some people bought into the
> performance argument and advocated kevent due to its supposed
> performance and scalability advantages - while now we are down to "epoll
> and kevent are break-even"?

You just draw a picture you want to see.

Even on the kevent page I have links to other people's benchmarks, which
show how kevent behave compared to epoll in theirs load.
_My_ tests showed kevent performance win, you tuned my (can be
broken) epoll code and results changed - this is developemnt process,
where things are not obtained from the air.

> in my book that is way too much of a difference, it is (best-case) a way
> too sloppy approach to something as fundamental as Linux's basic event
> model and design, and it is also compounded by your continued "nothing
> happened, really, lets move on" stance. Losing trust is easy, winning it
> back is hard. Let me reuse a phrase of yours: "expect a challenge".

Well, I do not care much about what people think I did wrong or right.
There are obviously bad and good ideas and implementations.
I might be absolutely wrong with something, but that is a process of
solving problems, which I really enjoy.

I just want that there sould be no personal insults, if I made such things,
shame on me :)

--
Evgeniy Polyakov