Sending signals to a kernel thread, broken in 2.6.22

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 16:55:24 EST

The g_file_storage driver uses a kernel thread and communicates with
that thread in part by means of signals. It also relies on the thread
receiving signals from userspace as an indication that the thread
should terminate.

This was all working in 2.6.21, but as of 2.6.22-rc3 the signal
delivery mechanism (entirely within the kernel!) is no longer
functional.

What's the story? Do I need to do something new and different to get
signals working again? Should I avoid using signals entirely?

Thanks for any help,

Alan Stern