Re: pcmcia resume 60 second hang. Re: [patch 00/69] -stable review

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 06:05:18 EST

Hi!

> > As far as I can tell the PPC code simply shuts down the devices without
> > worrying about userspace at all. If this was reliable, what prevents us
> > from simply disabling the freezer for STR?
>
> Personally, I think that's the right thing to do.
>
> And by "disabling the freezer", I think we should just not call it at all.
> However, sadly, right now it's called from common code. I'll happily take
> a tested patch to split that code sequence up, and try to do it in 2.6.23,
> if somebody has the energy (I'm getting to the point where I may just do
> it myself, but my lazy nature still hopes for a STR person to step
> forward).

I guess we should warn the driver authors, then; and decide what
driver authors should do.

If I'm video4linux driver for grabbing screen, have been suspended,
and someone asks me to read a frame, should I

a) return -ESORRYIMSUSPENDED

b) just block the caller

?

a) seems ugly to my eyes (userspace should not know about suspend).
Pavel