Re: udev regression? lsusb silent (no output) since 2.6.22-rc2 at least

From: bert hubert
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 10:40:22 EST

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 04:34:37PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> older kernels. That's all, and correctly configured kernels don't break
> anything.
>
> > So instead of papering this breakage over with cleverly worded help texts
> > that suggest a solution, how about we set USB_DEVICE_CLASS to 'y' by default
> > for a few more releases?
>
> Makes sense, yes.

Good to hear - I also want my kernel to be configured correctly, of course,
but I'm also happy if 'make oldconfig' keeps my correctly configured kernel,
configured correctly.

So USB_DEVICE_CLASS='y' for a few more cycles is like music to my ears.

> > "Some distributions need this feature for lsusb to work, unless the udev rule
> > above is configured".
>
> It's libusb access in general and not specific to lsusb.

"Some distributions need this feature for libusb-based applications (like
lsusb) to work, unless the udev rule above is configured"

The reason I stress lsusb so much is because for many operators, it is the
first thing they do in case of USB problems 'is my device even there?'.

So it would be what people notice breaking - even though the underlying
issue is with libusb.

Thanks!

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software