Re: [RELEASE] Lguest for 2.6.21

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Thu May 03 2007 - 23:39:35 EST

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 22:20 -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
> I take it both sides of the virtual device drivers are turned on by
> the lguest option?

Yeah, to quote the code in drivers/lguest/lguest_bus.c:

/* At the moment we build all the drivers into the kernel because they're so
* simple: 8144 bytes for all three of them as I type this. And as the console
* really needs to be built in, it's actually only 3527 bytes for the network
* and block drivers.

> For the purposes of kernel hacking, I'd want to boot into one build
> and repeatedly launch another build as a guest, thereby getting
> faster hack/build/test cycles than either qemu or full reboot.
> How tightly coupled are things here?

I do that all the time, too. The main issue is that we provide no ABI
for lguest (at least, not yet), so if you actually change guest/host
kernel version, you're on your own...

Thanks!
Rusty.