Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v8

From: Ting Yang
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 23:19:39 EST

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 11:06:34PM +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
There is also p->wait_runtime which is taken into account when
calculating p->fair_key. So if p3 had waiting in runqueue for long
before, it can get to run quicker than 10ms later.

Virtual time is time from the task's point of view, which it has spent
executing. ->wait_runtime is a device to subtract out time spent on the
runqueue but not running from what would otherwise be virtual time to
express lag, whether deliberately or coincidentally. ->wait_runtime
would not be useful for EEVDF AFAICT, though it may be interesting to
report.
I just want to point out that ->wait_runtime, in fact, stores the lag of each task in CFS, except that it is also used by other things, and occasionally tweaked (heuristically ?). Under normal cases the sum of lags of all active tasks in such a system, should be a constant 0. The lag information is equally important to EEVDF, when some tasks leave the system (becomes inactive) carrying certain amount of lag. The key point here is that we have to spread the lag (either negative or positive) to all remaining task, so that the fairness of the system is preserved. I thinks CFS implementation does not seems to handle this properly.

I am running out time today :-( I will write an email about CFS -v8 tomorrow, describing 2 issues in CFS I found related to this.

Ting