Re: [patch 01/10] compiler: define __attribute_unused__

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 03:23:04 EST

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Rusty Russell wrote:

> That sounds exactly right to me! If the author says it's optional, it
> might be discarded. If they say it's needed, it won't be. At least,
> when I'm coding and gcc warns me something is unused, this is the
> decision I have to make ("is this really needed or not?").

Hi Rusty,

There are many instances in the tree of functions that have no callers
whatsoever because they've been commented out temporarily, disabled
through configuration, etc. These are marked __attribute__ ((unused))
right now so that the compiler doesn't emit a warning (and with gcc >=3.4
it doesn't even emit code for them). What's __optional about these
functions if they have no callers? They're unused. So we cover all our
bases with __maybe_unused.