Re: ZFS with Linux: An Open Plea

From: Tomasz Kłoczko
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 15:58:30 EST

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Daniel Hazelton wrote:
[..]
Why on discussion about switching to GPL v3 Linux code this argument was
allways taken as "piece of cake". Why in case switching to another license
which will allow use CDDL code just it is most importand contr argument ?

kloczek

Because *EVERY* version of the GPL contains the "or any later version of this
license" clause (except, now, the version being used with the Linux kernel)

So after around commented swiching to GPL v3 it will be possible to start work on GLP v3.5 which will allow easy reuse CDDL code under Linux .. good to know :o)
How many years it will take ? two, three ? more ? (it will be good to know how long we must wait on ZFS under Linux .. I don't belive in rewriting ZFS code time and make it so useable on production as *now* it is possible under Solaris/*BSD/MOX and passing all pointless arguing will take shorter time) .. or maybe never because some people says something like "Linux is in GPL cage".

Hmm .. transforming KProbes/systemtap to someting useable as DTrace was started more than two years ago and I don't see end of base work (sill on start). Make ALSA so useable as OSS it was next three trashed years (because some developers stays on position "mixing audio in kernel space is dangerous") and also not finished in many points. LVM still isnt't Veritas. I don't see OpenVZ to tries be so useable and easy for managa as Solaris zoning (why OpenVZ people can't use the same commands syntax for manage zones as under Solaris .. command syntax is not patented :). Also .. moment .. moment .. for what I'm waiting if I can install and use Solaris/*BSD/MOX *NOW* ??? Why still contribute any code to project which seems must die ? (Is is realy true that some beeings which can't evolve in changeing enviroment will not survive .. ?)

EOT .. sorry

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*