Re: [Feature Request?] Inline compression of process core dumps

From: Bill Rugolsky Jr.
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 12:43:12 EST

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 05:28:45PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > There are userspace solutions to this problem: allowing the
> > uncompressed core dump to spin out to disk and then coming in afterwards
> > and doing the compression, or maybe even a compressed filesystem where
> > the core dumps land, but I just thought I'd throw this out there since
> > it seems it would be a useful feature :)
>
> Indeed. So useful that in current kernels you can set the core dump path
> to be
>
> "|application"
>
> and it will call out to the helper. Take care with the helper as it will
> get run for setuid apps, roots core dumps etc.

The current functionality doesn't parse command line arguments into argv,
nor provide the % variable replacements in the environment, so it is
somewhat less useful than it could be. I supposed that parsing the command
line introduces potential problems with file names that include whitespace.
It would probably be better to split the command-line on whitespace, then
replace variables in the argv[]?

fs/exec.c:
1507 if (corename[0] == '|') {
1508 /* SIGPIPE can happen, but it's just never processed */
1509 if(call_usermodehelper_pipe(corename+1, NULL, NULL, &file)) {
1510 printk(KERN_INFO "Core dump to %s pipe failed\n",
1511 corename);
1512 goto fail_unlock;
1513 }
1514 ispipe = 1;
1515 } else
1516 file = filp_open(corename,
1517 O_CREAT | 2 | O_NOFOLLOW | O_LARGEFILE | flag,
1518 0600);

Regards,

Bill Rugolsky