Re: Hardware monitoring subsystem maintainer position is open

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 10:51:26 EST

On Wednesday 11 April 2007, Jean Delvare wrote:
>Hi Hans,
>
>On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:40:54 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Jean Delvare wrote:
>> > I am resigning from my role as hardware monitoring subsystem
>> > (drivers/hwmon) maintainer. This is too much work for me, I do not
>> > have the necessary bandwidth to review all the incoming patches, in
>> > particular new drivers, in a timely manner. Patch authors have been
>> > complaining about this repeatedly. This is no fun for them, and even
>> > less for me, so I'd rather let someone else with more spare time
>> > take care of it. If there are volunteers, this is the right time to
>> > speak up.
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear this and I can't help but think that my, erm, rant*
>> yesterday is somehow involved in you making this decision.
>
>Obviously, it is. But please don't feel responsible for it. This just
>happened to be the trigger, but that would have happened anyway.
>
>> This was in no way my intention.
>
>I know.
>
>> My intention was to try and make you change how you handle these
>> things,
>
>Except that this isn't how open-source development works. You're not my
>boss, you don't get to tell me how I should work. I work the way I
>like, and if it doesn't fit with the rest of the community, I better
>move on.
>
>> my intention was to make you less of a perfectionist and to distribute
>> the work more, you cannot do everything yourself. I think that if you
>> could change that you would be able to cope with the load better.
>
>Perfectionist - you said it. This is what I am, and this is unlikely to
>change in a near future (if ever). But being a subsystem maintainer
>requires that you trust contributors to some degree, and you just can't
>trust contributors when you're a perfectionist. This means that the
>maintainer should be less of a perfectionist than the contributors,
>otherwise he/she ends up doing everything by him/herself.
>
>> I think you're experience / knowledge when it comes to hwmon stuff is
>> very valuable and if you leave / quit doing hwmon stuff this would be
>> a big loose.
>
>I didn't say I would leave entirely. I plan to stay around and keep
>helping with the lm-sensors project and hwmon drivers. I just don't
>want to be the hwmon subsystem maintainer anymore, as I don't fit in
>the role and this makes me (and others) unhappy.

Ouch. I'm very sorry to read this, Jean.

We don't say thanks for a job very well done often enough, but because of
you and Bill Wilson (gkrellm) I have been able to track those things that
have a direct bearing on the health and longevity of my hardware, and
see, on screen, indicators that tell me its time to pull the flower,
clean and re-grease it well before the cpu fails. All with a minimum of
bumps in the road for several years now.

So, a big tip of the hat, and a heartfelt thank you for all your efforts.
I hope that the next maintainer is as meticulous. Those shoes are, I can
imagine, going to be hard to fill.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)