Re: If not readdir() then what?

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 10:11:15 EST

On 4/10/07, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
That might work. But if in the long term we want to separate out what
we can send back via telldir/seekdir, and some future new Posix
interface, [...]

With all these discussions about fixes for telldir, do we want to
persue an alternative interface where the user can explicitly specify
that no telldir/seekdir will ever be used? From what I know so far it
would make technical sense since we could speed up/reduce the memory
footprint of readdir in 99% of most programs. But is the benefit
large enough to warrant a second interface?