Re: Ten percent test

From: Rene Herman
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 15:56:30 EST

On 04/09/2007 03:27 PM, Andreas Mohr wrote:

And I really don't see much difference whatsoever to the I/O scheduler
area: some people want predictable latency, while others want maximum
throughput or fastest operation for seek-less flash devices (noop).
Hardware varies similarly greatly has well:
Some people have huge disk arrays or NAS, others have a single flash disk.
Some people have a decaying UP machine, others have huge SMP farms.

I do agree, and yes, I/O scheduling seems to not have suffered from the choice although I must say I'm not sure how much use each I/O scheduler individualy sees.

If one CPU scheduler can be good enough then it would better to just have that one, but well, yes, maybe it can't. I certainly believe any one scheduler can't avoid breaking down onder some condition. Demand is just too varied.

I find it interesting that you see SD as a server scheduler and I guess deterministic behaviour does point in that direction somewhat. I would be enabling it on the desktop though, which probably is _some_ argument on having multiple schedulers.

Rene.