Re: Ten percent test

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 14:04:39 EST

* William Lee Irwin III <wli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I strongly suggest assembling a battery of cleanly and properly
> written, configurable testcases, and scripting a series of regression
> tests as opposed to just randomly running kernel compiles and relying
> on Braille.

there's interbench, written by Con (with the purpose of improving
RSDL/SD), which does exactly that, but vanilla and SD performs quite the
same in those tests.

it's quite hard to test interactivity, because it's both subjective and
because even for objective workloads, things depend so much on exact
circumstances. So the best way is to wait for actual complaints, and/or
actual testcases that trigger badness, and victims^H^H^H^H^H testers.

(also note that often it needs _that precise_ workload to trigger some
badness. For example make -j depends on the kind of X shell terminal
that is used - gterm behaves differently from xterm, etc.)

Ingo