Re: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.

From: johnrobertbanks
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 11:08:27 EST

Krzysztof -- Aren't you missing the point? Twice the speed would be
great,... even a 50% increase,... even a 0% increase.

I checked what bonnie++ actually writes to its test files, for you. It
is about 98-99% zeros.

Still, the results record sequential reads, of 232,729 K/sec, nearly
four times the physical disk read rate, 63,160 K/sec, of the hard drive.

The sequential writes are about three times the physical disk write
rate.

Even if the speed increase was zero, the more efficient use of disk
space means that Reiser4 is worth investigating.

People use RAID arrays to achieve speed increases.

The people who developed RAID clearly thought that increases in speed
were worth investigating.

> > Why do you think I hate reiserfs developers? That is an insane claim.
> > Why would I hate reiser3 developers?
> > Why would I hate reiser4 developers?
> > Why would I even dislike them?
> >
> > I think Hans Reiser is a genius. Is that what you mean by hate?
>
> I think they could hire a person with a bit better marketing skills,
> though. People on a technical mailing list don't buy things just
> because something on TV told them they have to.

I don't work for Reiser if that is what you are suggesting.

And people buy all sorts of lies because someone on TV told them it was
true.

Did you believe Iraq had WMD (weapons of mass destruction) because a
bunch of American liars told you this on TV? Millions of Americans did.

--

johnrobertbanks@xxxxxxxxxxx