Re: missing madvise functionality

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 17:40:35 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

#if NR_CPUS >= CONFIG_SPLIT_PTLOCK_CPUS

I wonder which way you're using, and whether using the other way changes
things.

I'm using the default Fedora config file, which has
NR_CPUS defined to 64 and CONFIG_SPLIT_PTLOCK_CPUS
to 4, so I am using the split locks.

However, I suspect that each 512kB malloced area
will share one page table lock with 4 others, so
some contention is to be expected.

For more real world workloads, like the MySQL sysbench one,
I still suspect that your patch would improve things.

Time to move back to debugging other stuff, though.

Andrew, it would be nice if our patches could cook in -mm
for a while. Want me to change anything before submitting?

umm. I took a quick squint at a patch from you this morning and it looked
OK to me. Please send the finalish thing when it is fully baked and
performance-tested in the various regions of operation, thanks.

Will do.

Ulrich has a test version of glibc available that
uses MADV_DONTNEED for free(3), that should test
this thing nicely.

I'll run some tests with that when I get the
time, hopefully next week.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group