Re: missing madvise functionality

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 14:33:13 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

There are other ways of doing it - I guess we could use a new page flag to
indicate that this is one-of-those-pages, and add new code to handle it in
all the right places.

That's what I did. I'm currently working on the
zap_page_range() side of things.

One thing which we haven't sorted out with all this stuff: once the
application has marked an address range (and some pages) as
whatever-were-going-call-this-feature, how does the application undo that
change?

It doesn't have to do anything. Just access the page and the
MMU will mark it dirty/accessed and the VM will not reclaim
it.

What effect will things like mremap, madvise and mlock have upon
these pages?

Good point. I had not thought about these.

Would you mind if I sent an initial proof of concept
patch that does not take these into account, before
we decide on what should happen in these cases? :)

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group