Re: getting processor numbers

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 01:29:53 EST

H. Peter Anvin a Ãcrit :
Eric Dumazet wrote:

There is one thing that always worried me.

Intel & AMD manuals make clear that mixing data and program in the same page is bad for performance.

In particular, x86_64 vsyscall put jiffies and other vsyscall_gtod_data_t right in the midle of code. That is certainly not wise.

A probably sane implementation should use two pages, one for code, one for data.

Mutable data should be separated from code. I think any current CPU will do fine as long as they are in separate 128-byte chunks, but they need at least that much separation.

Readonly data does not need to be separated from code.

Yes... jiffies & vsyscall_gtod_data_t is writen HZ times per second.

Not really readonly I'm afraid.