Re: A set of "standard" virtual devices?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 16:04:11 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

Yes, and that's the core of the Xen netfront. But is there really much
code which can be shared between different hypervisors? When you get
down to it, all the real code is hypervisor-specific stuff for setting
up ringbuffers and dealing with interrupts. Like all the other network
drivers.

One thing, Jeremy, which I think is being a bit misleading here: you're focusing on big, performance-critical stuff. Those things are going to be the ones which has the most win to implement in hypervisor-specific ways. Although we can offer models for some hypervisors (and G-d knows there are enough implementations out there of virtual disk which are almost identical), they're clearly not going to be universal.

However, there are other things; console is some, or my original example, which was random number generation. For those, the benefit of unification is proportionally greater, simply because the win of anything hypervisor-specific is much smaller.

-hpa