Re: [uml-devel] [RFC] UML kernel & rootfs bundle with every kernelrelease ?

From: Antoine Martin
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 13:54:14 EST

Blaisorblade wrote:
On lunedì 2 aprile 2007, Antoine Martin wrote:
Jeff Dike wrote:
On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 08:58:45PM +0100, Antoine Martin wrote:
I reckon that one critical thing which could drastically increase the
user base would be to have a working virtual framebuffer implementation.
Why? I've never understood what a framebuffer gives you that you
don't have now.
Just like the network auto-configuration via dhcp,
Hmm... for that to be completely plug-and-play you need to make sure a dhcp server on the host exists.

Vmware runs a separate DHCP server exactly for this, even if we should avoid that as much as possible.
It is trivial to write a shell script that takes care of setting up the interface and checks for the presence of a dhcp server. (the dhcpd.conf can be generated easily)

The problem lies with the configuration options, I have got a bunch of shell scripts to take care of that, but it is quite hard to make them suitable for global consumption by the average user:
* even with just tap networking, I use 4 different ways of hooking them up the outside world
* firewalling and mac address filtering
* bridging issues and ebtables
* tmpfs and memory issues
* selinux and chrooting issues...
etc...

[snip]
although it stopped working for me ages ago (probably for some UML bug). I built a Mandrake image (that I now lost) with Xnest configured. With a script on the host which passes the host IP and that calls xhost, it should work easily. And btw, we need a standard startup script anyway.
It would work, but it's not a pretty solution, it requires customizations to the guest and it would not be intuitive to new users.
I would much prefer the ability to just run any distro (even framebuffer based ones) without modifications using the virtual framebuffer.

It would also make it a lot easier to focus on writing a management UI,
hell if there isn't one shortly after, I'll do one myself!

Why not one management UI running from the host, a-la vmware?
Yes ,that was what I had in mind.
Possibly, with as much code as possible in scripting languages, for better transparency.
Definitely, (see above)

The management tools I have written export the guests' settings to the filesystem in the form of a shell script file, all the utility scripts just read those settings and do their stuff. (all in simple shell)
Antoine

Think of a UML browser image (running IE via wine in a limited image
with just X + wine + IE - I would much prefer that to having wine+IE
installed locally), testing framebuffer apps like gtk-fb/cairo-fb
without risking your dev environment, etc...

Antoine